Mission Statement: This blog was created to provide information on getting help for autism in general while focussing on locally available resources for families with newly diagnosed children in Belleville and Quinte area.

Please browse the blog at your leisure. You are welcome to comment on the posts. If you are a parent, an autism consultant, counselor, teacher with information on autism resources available in our area, please email your information to benziesangma@gmail.com. Your information will be added within 24 hours.

Local Autism Support Groups

Parents Engaging Autism Quinte (PEAQ), an autism parent support group, meets once a month on the first Tuesday of the month (no meetings in January, July and August) at Kerry's Place, 189 Victoria Avenue, Belleville at 6:30 to 8 p.m. If you have questions or suggestions for autism topics that are important to you please go to our FaceBook account and post your suggestions so that we can invite appropriate autism professionals to speak at these meetings.

Autism parent support group meeting hosted by Mental Health Agency, Trenton and Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) is on every second Thursday of the month (from September to June) from 6 to 7:30 pm. For more info, please contact Bryanna Best, Special Needs Inclusion Coordinator at 613 392 2811 ext 2076 or email at bryanna.b@trentonmfrc.ca

For info on Community Living Prince Edward County Parent Support group, contact Resource Consultants @ 613 476 6038

Central Hastings Autism Support Group meets in Madoc at the Recreation Centre. Contact Renee O’Hara, Family Resource & Support, 613-966-7413 or Tammy Kavanagh, Family Resource & Support, 613-332-3227

Parenting your child during Covid-19 pandemic

Monday, September 29, 2008

Mirror Neurons? What's that?

I just came back home from the Autism Support Group monthly meet that has started back up after the summer break. This was the first time I attended it and was happy to note the large turnout. The main feature of the meet was an excellent presentation on autism by a well-known local professional in the field, who took us through the complex behind-the-scene neurological activities in the brain inside the head of an autistic individual and all the way through to current studies on autism treatment, throwing out tips and strategies for parents to try at home. It was also interesting to find out that ADHD/ADD/OCD/ODD too might soon be considered part of the Spectrum and that eating broccoli could repair brain stem cells. (I meant to go to the grocery store to get bags of broccoli on the way home but it was getting late, so I kept going. I'll get to it tomorrow first thing in the morning, I said to myself.) The rest of the almost three -hour presentation passed by in a blur as I listened intently, hanging on to her words, grasping at her pointers for home care for my child, things I could try with him at home so he will be able to cope better with he has been dealt with. Equally fascinating were stories I heard from other parents and grandparents during the break. I felt that here are people who could actually relate to my fears, concerns, and hopes for my child. They know what it is all about. They've been through much of the system, the medical processes that I'm just beginning to hear about. They almost made me believe that I could actually say aloud that my son is autistic and start to feel okay about it. (I still think that he is simply speech delayed, that he has only speech motor planning disorder or as they say, dyspraxia) Not there yet but one day, I suppose, in the near future.

In it for the long haul...

I created this blog with my sincere wish that those of you reading this will want to share your own stories, both good and bad, what worked for you and what didn't and together, we can make it easier for the next family beginning their own journey of discovery. By posting what you know, where you have recieved certain services, who you have talked to, whose expertise you trust, how you navigated the school education services and by responding to questions in the discussion thread, know that you have helped a family in need. So, parents, experts in the field, counsellors, teachers and everyone who has any information on resources available, please feel free to post on this blog.